Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Unlimited Possibilities

The most exciting thing I heard yesterday, during a day full of exciting talk, was a comment by a colleague. She said, "a year ago I would have thought our L&D team was doing great. But now I think we have a lot of room to grow."

To me, that was amazing to hear. That's transformation. For a year on my team we have been talking about instructional systems design, microlearning, spaced learning, performance consulting, knowledge management, metrics...the list goes on. It's been a big year and it's been a journey. And we say we are transforming, but for me, it was hearing that comment today that really validated it.

As a teacher or as an instructional designer, what better to hear, than someone recognizing that they know what they don't know. The reverse of "I don't know what I don't know." That's transformational learning to me. Not information, application, comprehension, or even synthesis...that's plain off-the-charts unchartered-territory learning. I know I've felt this way many times, after my first degree, after working on the job, after my second degree - the feeling of knowing that I just learned a lot but also seeing the depth of what I don't know beneath that.

That's why I nominate the Game of Thrones quote as my new absolute favorite quote of the day: "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

It's when you recognize this that limits disappear and possibilities begin.




See more on Know Your Meme

No comments: